SCADA Security Testing
SCADA in other words Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition. Is generally refers to industrial control systems used for the easiness of management, monitoring, and operations of a controlled process that is distributed among various sites.
In the recent years, the need and importance for cybersecurity for SCADA have increased rapidly as most of the critical infrastructure like powerplant, oil and gas, chemical industries and so on are mostly operated with the help of SCADA. Therefore, to prevent the security breach, a set of standards and guidelines are proposed by the cyber Security council which can be done by assessing SCADA. It is an important fact that each industry should meet it.
Since these systems are much complicated and communicated via the internet and other similar communication media they have been secured from unauthorized access. ValueMentor evaluates how much those security measures have met.
SCADA Security Testing Methodology
Scada security testing varies with different Scada. But the basic testing steps which we are following are:
- Project planning and initiation
- Desktop and server security assessment
- Scada security assessment
- Network architecture review & security assessment
- Physical assessment
- Detailed report
Types of SCADA Testing
Without the knowledge of details about the SCADA system, our team will try to conduct a pen test on them and analyze the vulnerabilities present in them. since the system is much-complicated based on the requirement of the firm it’s been conducted.
A detailed re-evaluation of the coding is undergone. Such that it checks all coding’s of SCADA
The testing is made based upon the details which are provided by the implementer or the firm.
Benefits of SCADA Security Testing
- Reduces the exposed attack surface associated with known vulnerabilities. Patches are frequently released in response to publicly identified vulnerabilities.
- Eliminates the readily exploitable code associated with unnecessary services on control system servers and workstations
- Reduces or eliminates the vulnerabilities ranging from default accounts to weak passwords that provide opportunities for an intruder to enter the system.
- Eliminates directory traversal attacks and other common vulnerabilities.
- Industrial safety.